national

2013年8月24日 (土)

The first of the 100 rugby field

Tuppy Diack played on the wing for Otago in 1957 when they took the shield off Wellington in a surprise 19-11 win, and he was watching on television from his Dunedin home when the underdogs finally broke their shield drought in Hamilton on Friday night, defeating Waikato 26-19.
"It was almost 1957 all over again. They were not expected to win and everything came right on the day," Mr Diack told NZ Newswire.
"It was a magnificent defensive game that Otago played and they had a good goal kicker in Hayden Parker, who did the job perfectly."
Mr Diack, now 78, played one Test for the All Blacks in 1959 and racked up 101 appearances for Otago between 1951 and 1964.
Since 1957 Otago had failed in 22 shield challenges, despite having a strong team in the 1990s and some close results.
Mr Diack didn't go into Friday night's game expecting anything would be any different, and says the result is hugely encouraging for Otago ruby.
"It looks like there might be a bit of a resurgence."
Mr Diack had already fielded a few calls from former teammates who were planning to go to next Sunday's first defence, against another union with a proud shield history but no recent success, Hawke's Bay.
"It's going to be hard to pick. Shield games are always a bit different, it's quite amazing ... the Ranfurly Shield still has a mystique in these days of professionalism."
According to local historian Paul Allison, 11 of the 15 players from the 1957 team are still alive and another reunion on Sunday is likely.
Mr Allison said the result would be huge for Otago rugby, which last year had to be bailed out by the NZRU, the city council and others while struggling with debt of $2.35 million.
The shield would be paraded around the province in the coming week and 20,000 people could be expected for the first defence, he said.
"So many people have never seen the Ranfurly Shield down here ... it's 20,418 days since the shield was last here."

2013年8月 7日 (水)

Ninja style dress

The unarmed group, reported by local media to be suspected followers of a Malaysian Muslim figure claiming royal descent, string embroidery were stopped by police guards in the confrontations early on Monday morning at the palace in Kuala Lumpur.
A police official called the claim by the group's leader "unbelievable and out of the ordinary".
"His claim doesn't make sense. (He) claimed to have a letter of appointment from the Philippines," Kuala Lumpur police official Ku Chin Wah told reporters.
Ku refused to identify the detainees or their leader from the northern state of Kedah, pending investigations.
He said they were being investigated under a statute that forbids challenging the king's authority, which can bring life imprisonment, and for illegal assembly.
The eight detained males and two females included a child aged 11, he said.
Ku was earlier quoted by Malaysian media as saying they were armed only with flags and documents purportedly laying out the royal claim case for samsung galaxy.
The Star newspaper said one of the documents called for the formation of a three-million-strong army to prepare for the coming of the Mahdi, a prophesied redeemer of Islam.
Malaysia has a unique arrangement under which the Muslim Malay sultans of the country's nine states take turns occupying the country's throne as king, rotating every five years.
The sultans trace their lineages back to Malay sultanates of the 15th century.
The current king is Sultan Abdul Halim Mu'adzam Shah, 85.
Despite a merely ceremonial role, the king commands great respect from the public, especially majority Malays.
Malaysia occasionally sees security scares from small sects or cults.
In one of the biggest nu skin product, a martial-arts sect that taught members they were invulnerable to bullets disguised themselves as soldiers and stole more than 100 weapons from two military armouries in 2000.
Three members were executed for planning a "holy war" while 16 others were given life sentences for treason.

2013年7月23日 (火)

Loss of over 100 jobs

Housing New Zealand has closed 21 community offices since 2011 with the loss of more than 100 jobs, Labour says.
Phil Twyford, the party's housing spokesman otter case, says the state housing provider has been replacing staff on the West Coast, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Hawke's Bay and Southland with call centres.
"The total number of permanent Housing New Zealand staff has reduced from 1033 to 921 - a loss of 112," he said fr4 pcb.
"Across the country communities are seeing office doors closed despite increases in waiting lists for state houses."
Mr Twyford says since 2008 Housing NZ's spending on consultants has increased by more than 200 per cent.
Housing NZ has previously acknowledged problems with the call centres but says the changes are part of restructuring that's leading to increased efficiency label sticker.

その他のカテゴリー